4.20.2010

Second graders vs. Caterpillars

So today in science we were talking about the differences between humans and caterpillars. No, this was not a random question. We are studying the life cycles of butterflies. Well, most students stuck with things like, caterpillars have fur and humans have hair. Caterpillars have 16 legs and humans only have 2. Caterpillars change into butterflies and humans just stay humans. Caterpillars eat leaves and humans eat food (apparently leaves are not food).

Well then we got around to how caterpillars are born. A little girl raised her hand and answered that humans were just born alive and caterpillars came from eggs. Silly me decided to correct her and tell her that humans come from eggs as well. The whole class erupted into a chorus of "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT!" I let them all know that they would learn more about that in either middle school or high school when they learned the life cycle of humans. But today we were going to just talk about the life cycle of butterflies.

Then, a little boy raised his hand and said that he was different than his caterpillar because humans were peach and caterpillars were different colors. Before anyone could catch on to what he said, I changed the subject and decided we talked about life cycles long enough for one day and took the class outside to play. Who knew the life cycle of a butterfly could be so controversial in a second grade class?

Tomorrow I will post pictures of the gross, mutant caterpillars in my classroom!

So all day long I could not wait to read more of my book. I read for about 20 minutes before my walk and I'm headed back to reading once all my clothes are picked out and things are ready for tomorrow. So far, so good!

Soo ... 6 Days, 263 pages.

Followers